In 1988 Annalouise received a scholarship to participate in cross-cultural workshops with Nigerian dance master, Peter Badejo OBE and Kathakali dance master, Karunakaran. This set her off on a life-long journey into the cross-pollination of flamenco and contemporary dance that has evolved into a unique practice. Exploring cultural content has fuelled all her works, and collaborations with artists from an eclectic mix of cultures delving into rigorous research and rich dialogue.
- What is the Identity or character of rhythm? Flamenco and Indian rhythms with contemporary dance.
- Improvisation vs. composition. Cueing and improvisation tools used in traditional dance and live music.
- Creation of cultural hybridity in a laboratory environment. Body percussion patterns from Torres Strait Islands and Tonga, Kathak dance and flamenco danced rhythms and contemporary body percussion.
- Deconstructing cultural dances to locate trigger points in the body using somatic processes.
- Interrogate Flamenco dance using responsive interactive technologies.